1. Corpsepaint is not yet considered racially insensitive.
2. Church arson is not a primary indicator of socioeconomic status.
3. The paradoxical nature of unblack metal is widely recognized, even by geographically isolated tribes.
4. Oslo residents are culturally hostile toward death metal musicians, Swedes in particular.
5. Necklaces made from a lead singer’s skull fragments are traditionally given as tokens of admiration.
“Sociological Observations of Norwegian Black Metal Bands,” by Austin S. Matthews for McSweeney’s.